Stolen Credit Card – Prevention
April 4th, 2016
Here’s a few of my know-before-you-go hints….
1) Diversify your money– take travelers checks, credit cards, bank cards as well as cash (U.S. cash is best because it’s recognized in most places). Never carry everything in the same place.
2) Be prepared! Before you leave home, record (in triplicate) the numbers on your travelers checks, credit cards and bank cards. The same applies to all the 800 numbers you might need to report a theft. Leave one list with someone at home, one goes into your money belt and one stays in your suitcase.
3) Be creative! Hide your emergency money in strange places – a vitamin pill bottle with a few pills in it, is great. The bottle isn’t see-thru and thieves are generally not interested in your Vitamin C.
4) Be very sure to check the restrictions on your credit cards. Did you know that some cards are not replaceable internationally if they’re stolen?
5) Ask your bank for an extra client card. If the first is taken, you still have the second one to withdraw cash with.